Tuesday, March 26, 2013

PROTEST POSTER
      In January I saw a film called Blackfish at the Sundance Film Festival. Blackfish is about the devastating consequences of keeping killer whales in captivity in places like Sea World. Ever since I saw this movie I have been very concerned about the issue of holding animals in captivity. Zoos and other place can be good if their purpose is to protect endangered animals or to bring animals back to health. But it is when humans put giant animals like killer whales in a tiny container and make them do tricks things go wrong. The main problem with places like Sea World is that the people think that they can train these beautiful creature to perform and do all kinds of tricks. Killer whales are supposed to be in the ocean, not a tiny pool full of dirty water. I really wanted to make my poster about the issue of whale captivity because I think it is a social issue that does not get talked about enough. 
       I really enjoyed the speech that Chimamnda Adichie about the dangers of a single story because I think it is very relatable to all social issues. A lot of the time with social issues we have our opinion and we refuse to listen to the other side. The initial story or argument we hear about a certain issue is usually what we believe. It is very important for us to have our own opinions and ideas about social issues rather than just getting our ideas from other people. This is something that I feel very strongly about, especially going to school at BYU. 




No comments:

Post a Comment